This unedited ad recently appeared, seeking a “Development Associate” for a local nonprofit organization.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1) Development Office assistance
• manage donor/gift records including processing gifts and reconciling with business office, receipting gifts and producing acknowledgments to donors
• organize mail appeals several times a year including supervising volunteer crews if needed
• provide database information for telephone solicitation as needed
• prepare and distribute a variety of development reports as needed
• maintain accurate and complete donor and prospect files
• support grant seeking efforts as assigned
• assist with planning of donor visitation and development events as needed; assist with follow-up data and reports as assigned
• type, proofread and mail correspondence as assigned
• compose drafts of letters and other written material as requested
• collect and respond as needed to mail and telephone inquiries for development staff when they are out of the office
• maintain records of Board Development Committee, including distributing agendas, minutes and reports
• assist Director of Development and Outreach and Development Manager with other office tasks as assigned
• maintain general and up to date knowledge of all organization programs and activities
2) Database Management
• maintain integrity of database and implement regular system updates
• train and monitor work of database users; oversee data entry by others
• maintain database procedures instructions and user manuals
• respond to requests for database information from promotional team (mailing lists, mailing labels, analytical reports, etc.) as scheduled for the year
• do data entry as needed, including entering new constituencies and prospects from campus visitors, development trips and address changes from returned mail
3) Central organizational support
• serve as part of back up team for the receptionist, answering general calls to the organization
• maintain company phone directory
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS INCLUDE:
• Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and writing skills.
• Proficiency with computer programs, particularly Microsoft Word and Excel, and Raiser’s Edge or ability to learn it.
• Attention to detail and accuracy of extreme importance.
• Excellent person-to-person and telephone skills.
• Ability to handle diverse tasks and accurately and efficiently handle numerous details.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality and professional manner.
• Ingenuity and enthusiasm.
The pay rate? The princely sum of $12 an hour – no benefits.
Let’s see, this organization is looking for someone with the level of skill practically on par with what a development director is to some organizations, and the pay rate is less than what I made in 1975, working as a secretary. Heck, $12 an hour is 50 cents less than my college student daughter makes working retail! This is basically slave labor.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – until nonprofit organizations wake up and realize that they must make as strong a commitment to funding their mission as they make to their mission, we’re going to see a lot of organizations closing their doors in the next few years.
Of course, we don’t get into this line of work because of the pay scale, but c’mon already!